Here’s a great way to clear some heads, assuming these rumors are true. Not to get too deep in, but I’m sure many of you have been worried if your device will be compatible with OS 6.0. Others question which devices will come equipped with it right out of the box. So to according to the rumor, the Clamshell 9670, Bold/Torch Slider 9800, Atlas 8980 and Kepler 9300 will have OS 6.0 right out of the box when they launch. As for devices who will have the upgrade to OS 6.0 from OS 5.0, the Bold 9650, Pearl 3G 9100/9105, Bold 9700, and Storm 2 9550/9520 will be getting it.
In a recent podcast I participated in, we discussed which devices would or wouldn’t get OS 6.0. The Bold 9700 brought up a lot of question due to this 9700a launching. For those unaware, the 9700a is allegedly the same as the 9700 – just with an upped 512MB of RAM. By seeing that, many quickly assumed that the 9700a would be in support of new OS 6.0, but as I mentioned in the podcast, the Pearl 3G gets it with 256 MB, and yes it’s a smaller device perhaps requiring less resource and such, but RIM would be fully capable of making it fully ready and available.
As for other features leaked, here’s the full list:
- Graphical context menu in tables list and tabs.
- The long context menu has ended Unified search framework included in 3rd party app data
- Multiple contact lists
- Message list enhancements (displaying pushed 3rd party app data)
- Wifi LBS supports
- reverse geo coding (geo to zip)
- travel time service within Canada and USA
- trackpad support for swipe gestures
- Barcode 1D/2D scanning support
- Auto-Focus enhancements (Camera lens and Auto-Focus are now separate)
So far these are rumors so we can’t digest these in and wait for all of these to happen this early on. As time moves forward, we’ll be seeing more to come up from OS 6.0. Stay tuned for more.
-by Mac Jadalhack